Skip to content

P&O Cruises 'Azura' Pool and SeaScreen by David Woodward.

Update on the Java/QuickTime/Flash Discussions

We've had some lively discussions about the relative advantages & disadvatages of Java Viewers, the QuickTime Player and Flash Viewers and I wanted to share something I suspected and confirmed.

I just got a new computer, Compaq Presario with an AMD Athlon 64 3500, 512MB RAM (I already added another Gig), 200GB HardDrive, DVD Burner with Windows XP Home and the usual accoutrements.

When I went into the Control Panel to start uninstalling the junk software, there was the Java "Coffee Cup" icon, already installed. Version 1.5

And not far from it, the QuickTime "Q" icon. Version 6.5 is pre-installed, too.

My preference for a Java viewer as my primary viewer has been the larger number of installations compared to the QT player. If other computer manufacturers are doing the same, this could soon put QuickTime on a near even footing with Java as far as number of Windows PC installations.

I'm liking the "2 viewer" method one of the big hotel virtual tour providers is using better & better; a good sized Java PTViewer image for the initial "quick look" and a Full-Screen QuickTime image for a more dramatic display.

Does anybody know how to tell if Flash is installed on a computer before I get this thing connected to the 'Net and all sorts of automatic upgrades start happening?

Later
Doug Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Update on the Java/QuickTime/Flash Discussions

Hi Doug, long time no speak :)

Your right many home entertainment computers are preinstalled with QT and Java, as well as shock-wave, flash, and many other bits which usually includes that horrible software called AOL.

But the discussion isn't really about home entertainment PCs, its more business computers which have the basic XP Pro or Vista installed.

I remember saying this in another thread, that i wanted to show the local city council what i did for the photography and get a little sponsorship.

But nobody their could see the Java or QT versions on their PCs as the computers didn't have it installed and only the technical support team coming out and installing it would fix the problem as the PC was locked to stop software being installed. So i had to go there and show them the tours on my laptop.

This also includes 3 hotels i have worked for, the local university which my fiance works in and dozens of other businesses. But most of these companies have preinstalled Flash as they know its almost definitely required.

Let the debate begin (again :))
Ian

www.NewWorldDesigns.co.uk
CMS Systems, Web Design, 3D Animation

www.QuickTimeVirtualReality.com
Object, Pano, Multinode, QTVR, Flash, Java

»

Ian
Do you know how to check for Flash? I want to check if its pre-installed to.

Before AOL gets my connection fixed and Flash gets installed without me knowing it.

This isn't one of Compaq's higher end "Media Center" machines, its just one of their basic "Desktop" class machines. It was only US$379, US$445 delivered

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

Hi Doug
I made this eCommerce site with Joomla a while back for a low budget client, www.spot-ontv.co.uk and it has a simple flash movie at the top left which is shown with javascript. If you don't have it, it will show text "you need flash to view this movie" or it will show the logo which is a moving bulls-eye thing.

Or

In IE7, go-to
Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons

And in there you should see something like "shock-wave Flash object" with a file name "Flash9b.ocx"

Well that's what it says in mine with the version i have installed.

Give that a go, see what happens, i would prob try the latter first in case your PC tries to install automatically the flash plug-in.

But for $379 which is about £190, it makes you wonder how Compaq stays in business. I drove to London and back last week, and it cost me £150 in fuel, its only 260 miles door to door each way.

Ill drop my VR tour on here when i do it, but I'm still in the tender stage at the moment, so ill see what happens. I really want to try and experiment with different types of tours now, as for 10yrs i have been taking images of sunsets, buildings and properties for sale.

I want a new challenge.

Regards
Ian

»

Ian
Thanx, nothing in there, so I'll try to remember to visit your site shortly after AOL fixes my connection problem

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

Ian
I got one of my Internet connections working on the new computer, so I went to the link you posted and lo and behold the "flashing yellow target" worked.

A right-button click indicates Flash 7 is already installed in new computers from Compaq

That's a triple play with Java 1.5, QuickTime 6.5 and Flash 7 all being preinstalled on a new computer.

It bodes well for Virtual Tour Photographers

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

It does not really sound like a new computer.
QT 6.5 and flash 7

Flash 8 was released in september 2005 and I believe QT 7 was at about the same time.

Hans

»

Hans
Its a refurbished machine from the HP/Compaq Outlet Store.

AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 3500 2.2Ghz, 512MD RAM 200GB Drive, DVD Writer and the usual other features for US$379 and I already added a Gig of RAM

So it might be last year's model that was getting Java, QuickTime and Flash pre-installed. That's even better isn't it?

Since the Java PTViewer and iPIX Viewer I've worked with run on Java 1.5 and I think all the QTVR images will run on QT 6.5, we as VR photographers are in good shape.

I'm not as knowledgeable about the Flash Virtual Image players, will Flash 7 play them? Anybody?

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

Not sure about the Flash or Java sides, but i only have QT 6.3, as i have VR Worx 2.1 installed which dies if you upgrade to QT6.4 or higher. It well Pi**ed me off, as when i bought VR Worx, they then brought out 2.5 a few months later, to cope with the new problems of the QT6.4 throw at it.

But when i asked them for an upgrade, they told me to bugger off and buy the 2.5 version, which really miffed me as i never knew there would be a future problem.

I am now boycotting VR Toolbox at all costs, and moving to some thing else even if it costs me more money.

»

Ian
Does this mean you're making the big jump to (dare I say it) iPIX?
);)>

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

LOL, i don't think so, have you not seen the front of my website?

http://www.quicktimevirtualreality.com/

Take a look at the logo to the left on the index page.

I don't believe it is right to pay per movie to be produced. I will prob be using PTGUI, and Pano2QTVR or something similar.

I have even toyed with the idea of Realviz.

Most of the stuff i do is print based, and i really want to expand on that, and get some postcards and posters made up. So i think i need to look at something a bit more than Ipix, and isn't ipix dead now?

»

Ian
I've seen the front of your website ):P

Not that you'd actually consider it, but iPIX dropped the "pay per image" model on their top software a couple years ago. (They still have 5 "keys" for US$20 for their iPIX Real Estate Wizard software that only costs US$35)

The iPIX Interactive Studio has an annual license with unlimited output for a year.

Minds-Eye-View, who has a license for some of the iPIX patents, bought the software and non-patent assets and annouced it will continue selling most of the software and services. No details yet.
Here's the press release http://ivrpa.org/node/1314

I looked at (and continue to look at) RealViz Stitcher Unlimited DS as a replacement for iIS, and may just get it as an additional VR tool to have for my work. It stitches 3 fisheyes from my Coolpix 5400/FC-E9 quicker and easier than iIS, but iIS does a better job on 2 fisheyes. And RVSU DS will stitch the Canon/Sigma 8mm source photos I'll have for my non-real estate work in the future

So for me they compliment each other

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

I was waiting for a clerk at Circuit City to see if they had a PC Card Modem in stock, so I checked out the Control Panel of some new laptops.

An IBM/Lenovo, HP, Acer, Compaq and Toshiba all had Java pre-installed with Windows Vista.

None of them already had QuickTime like the refurbished Compaq Desktop I just bought and I didn't try to find Flash.

Even though Microsoft isn't including the MS Java Virtual Machine anymore, it looks like most of the the manufacturers are pre-installing the Sun Microsystems Java Platform.

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»

I've already switched to new software and got everything integrated with a ready made joomla site that has plenty of modules

»

Hi Doug,

Have you had your flash question answered? Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/systeminfo.cgi

Jake

»

I used to render my tours in Java, Flash and Quicktime. The benefit for a client was that they could always see the tour. The benefit for me was that it was easier to sell a tour. Now, i only use Java and Flash with Java being the first displayed. An option for a viewer to see the flash tour is also there, just in case.

I use immervision pure player and like it a lot except for the interpolation issue which created the wavy lines in the tour. This is being taken care of with an inexpensive piece of software i purchased recently, PT-panoenhancer. At the moment it only works with the Java version of my .ivp file though.

Having said all that, my thoughts are Flash first, Java second, QT last if at all. I hope this doesn't get any hackles up, it's just my preferred way.

Cheers,

Jake

»

Installing this program in a wrong way may cause severe problem on your computer software and files. Better ask experts on how to install this properly to avoid damage on your computer.

----------------------
Eden Jolly
Online PC Repair

»