Skip to content

Carhenge, Alliance,Nebraska,USA by John Blake.

Is canon fisheye 15mm. f/2.8 lens has better resolution with canon 5D Mark II?

i want to buy canon 5D Mark II with fisheye lens 15mm. f/2.8 and i need to know it's resolution while shooting people?

also what makes me worried that when i shoot 360 degree picture i may need to take more than 2 pictures as i used to take only 2 or 3 pictures with my old kit so does anybody tried to use this lens and make panorama with 2 pictures only?

i want help from anyone as i started to make the order of the camera ad lens....

»

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Is canon fisheye 15mm. f/2.8 lens has better resolution ...

While the Canon 15mm is the best choice to shoot high end spherical panoramas there is no way to cover a sphere with just two images using this lens. In fact you would need at least 6 around plus one up, leaving a small nadir hole if shot properly.
Peter Murphy from Sidney once did some tests with a shaved Nikon 10.5 on the 5DMk2 and just 2 shots. He somehow succeeded but the result was less convincing and as far as I know he did not use this method further on.
So to get a decent result at least 3 images from a circular fisheye lens are needed and there is no way to do it with a 15mm full frame.
Look at the technical data and you will know why.

--
Jürgen Schrader
IVRPA Director
www.bavaria360.de

»

We shoot with the 5D Mark 2/ Canon 15mm combo and position the lens 15 degrees down, shoot 6 around and one up shot. This gives enough coverage to easily Photoshop out the tripod or mask in a hand held nadir. Even though we take a couple more pictures than with our old set up (the 30D and Sigma 8mm fisheye) it is well worth the quality.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Lisa Franzino: Circlescapes
high-resolution virtual tours and web design
http://www.circlescapes.com
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

»

To shoot just 3 shots with a 5DMkII you'd need a Sigma 8mm or something similar that produces a circular image 180° or a little more across

I've stitched two shots from a 5DmkII/Sigma 8mm but its not easy. Three shots from this setup stitches very easy

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

»