Home Forums 360° Panoramic VR Photography 2017 Ideal Dream 360 Camera Rig

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kiteboardbudd 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Brendon Gee
    IVRPA Professional Member

What would be your ideal dream 360 camera rig for 2017. If budget was not an issue, what would be the ideal/dream camera/lens/pano head setup for 360 Photography.
    A) Would your ideal/dream setup be a singular camera setup?
    B)Perhaps a multiply cameras setup?

Please comment below your thoughts and comments

Brendon Gee
    Architect / Photographer

Brendon Gee

As someone starting out and not having tested a lot of cameras and lenses from various companies I would look at something that has a high Mega pixel and Dynamic range and ideally native glass. Since money is not an issue for a dream rig, I would look at a getting a multiply camera unit.
    A rig that contains 4 Sony a7r2 cameras with the canon 8-15mm fisheye lenses.
    Reason being is two-fold. 1) produce great high res still images from each camera 2) 4k video from each camera.

This is my dream rig that is possible to purchase within 2017 I could have gone out and suggested RED camera’s but that is next years dream.

Brendon Gee
    Architect / Photographer

Jürgen Schrader
    Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Director Member director

While there might be rigs one can dream of, There is no such thing like an ideal rig.
    One always has to configure a setup that best matches the current purpose.

For panoramic photography a 4 camera rig will not make you happy unless you do aerial photography where the nodal offset doesn’t weigh in too much. For everything else it’s more like a pia.

If you need to speed things up, a motorized head might come into consideration.

I you need to shoot HDR spheres for IBL the Sony might not be ideal as at a maximum it allows 5 brackets 3 EV apart. I haven’t tested yet if that is sufficient to cover the entire range. That said I don’t know which are he maximum steps that the Nikon 8xxs do allow.

Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Vice President

Brendon Gee

Again, Thanks for you input Jurgen.
    The main idea of this post is for people to comment on what they would like to own if money was no object or perhaps maybe consider the setup they have to be idea system for there needs. Also it would b e great to repost every year as technology changes over time – ie 2017 40-50MP cameras might be all the rage and in 2018 80-100MP etc.. Also it gives a chance for people like you have to provide positive/knowledge feedback on the pros and cons of such a rig and consider other oppositions.

Brendon Gee
    Architect / Photographer

Jürgen Schrader
    Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Director Member director

Well, the limitation that makes us dream about rigs is physics rather than money.
    Everyone would love to have a one-shot-rig that allows high resolution panos without stitching errors, which currently is not possible to build.

And once you start looking at stereo panos, the issue go through the roof.

So for current rigs there is little left to wish for.

Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Vice President

kiteboardbudd
    Forum Member

as Jürgen said, there is no such thing as an “ideal” pano rig for all applications.

that said, my next rig will consist of pentax k1 + nikkor 16mm + nodal ninja rd5. it will take quite nice panos with 3 shots. i prefer the pentax k1 over nikon d810 because nikon has still not fixed the oil drop issue on sensor.

my favorite support is DIGIANT MP-3606, well built hybrid monopod.

-budd

kiteboardbudd
    Forum Member

by the way, i will not be getting the nikkor 16mm, as i dont want to deal with pentax adapter ring. i will instead opt for the equally awesome Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Lens to go along with the Pentax K1.

if i happen to come across $5k laying on the ground, i’ll of course pick up the d850+nikkor16 instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.