Home Forums General Discussion 3D Projection Setup for Quebec 2016

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Thomas Sharpless Thomas Sharpless 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Sharpless
    Thomas Sharpless
    IVRPA Director Member director

I’m planning a real 3D presentation at IVRPA, and thought some of you would be interested in the details of the projection system — indeed I hope some of you will also be using it.

It is a two projector system with passive glasses; but instead of polarized light it uses multi-band interference filters. Each eye sees narrow R, G, and B bands that don’t overlap spectrally, so the stereo separation is clean and the color natural. The big advantage over polarized is that it works on an ordinary projection screen, while polarized needs a special screen. This system has been commercialized by Dolby/Infitec for theater use; the gear we will be using is made by Omega Optical of Vermont.

For the presentation I will want my laptop to drive 3 projectors — the stereo pair, plus the 2D projector for the main screen. It has 3 video connectors, but only one can be active at a time. That one will be the DisplayPort, connected to a Matrox DualHead2Go box that presents the two WUXGA projectors to the computer as a single virtual 3840 x 1200 screen. On that screen I will run software that displays stereo pairs side-by-side, full screen — for example, krpano “fake VR” mode in a web browser.

For the 2D video output I will add a Pluggable USB-to-DVI dongle, with the laptop’s screen duplicated onto it.

My laptop runs Windows 10, but this setup should also work with WinVista+ or any recent Macbook. On Mac, you have to install the drivers for USB video manually, on Windows it is automatic.

KC Lai
    KC Lai
    IVRPA Sponsor Member

cool, love to try it. can you advise if the krpano “fake VR” web browser can play smooth 360 stereo video on your setup? my experience with it 2 year ago was very slow. lately we use Kolor eyes showing interactive split screen and use a 3D-ready DLP projector to convert the split screen back into 3D. It’s a handy solution on the go with a small projector to a small group using active glasses, but the aspect ratio will be wrong.

We love iZugar!

Thomas Sharpless
    Thomas Sharpless

UPDATE
    Macbook users will need to use a compatible model of the Matrox DualHead2Go graphics extender box, either DualHead2Go Digital ME or TripleHead2Go Digital SE (which is actually compatible with both Mac and PC DisplayPorts). The Digital SE model that I have only works on Windows Laptops and in fact I killed one by connecting it to the Thunderbolt port on a Macbook Pro. You may also need to install some support software from Matrox.

Mac users will also need to install DisplayLink drivers for USB video output. This is proven technology, the DisplayLink chipset and API are widely used in docking ports as well as video dongles. Windows includes those drivers.

An alternative is to simply connect your Macbook to the 2D projection system as usual, and use my Windows laptop just for showing your 3D slides. That should work fine unless you are a visitor from the future whose presentation involves live 3D graphics (if you are, we need to talk).

Thomas Sharpless
    Thomas Sharpless

K.C.,

Are you presenting at IVRPA? If so, please let Luc Villenueve know at once that you expect to use stereo projection. The system is fully worked out and component tested, with rental suppliers lined up and a reasonable budget. But it still needs Luc’s approval to put it on the program.

There are definitely problems with playing stereo video on krpano — or any other browser-based player I should think. But the IVRPA system will work with any player that can show a stereo pair side-by-side full screen. I have not tried Kolor Eyes, but the excellent sView player surely can — provided you get the latest version, earlier ones had a perspective bug in sbs mode. http://download.sview.ru/win/sViewSetup_v.16.04_30.exe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.