Home Forums 360° Virtual Tours Accessories for Nikon D850 – 360 Tour

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Rohn 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Siddharth Kumar
    Siddharth Kumar
    Forum Member
    • Forum Posts: 3

Hello, I’m just getting into creating 360 degree virtual tours. After doing a lot of research on the net (including IVRPA), I have few queries:

1. Pano Head
      a. Should I go with the NN6 or NN3 for a D850 + Fish Eye Lens combination? I’ve read that the NN3 is made for smaller DSLRs and compact cameras but will it be sufficient for the D850?
      b. NN3 – if this is sufficient will the NN3 MK3 + Nadir Adapter w/ Lower Rotator Mini Pkg (F3302) combination do the job?
      c. NN6 – if I have to go with this, can I use this with the Lower Rotator Mini instead of the Lower Rotator D10?

2. Fish Eye Lens
      a. Would the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 HD Fisheye Lens with Removable Hood be a good option to use with the D850?

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Member
    IVRPA Director
    webmaster
    • Forum Posts: 307
    • ★★★★

NN6 is better for larger DSLR like D850, NN3 is good for smaller DSLR or mirrorless camera

full size RD10 rotator will be better also, D850 is a heavy camera and RD10 will be more stable vs mini rotator

https://shop.nodalninja.com/nn6-starter-pkg-f6001/

if you are using a fisheye in single row (no up or down shots) you can use NN R10 with lens ring, this is smaller and lighter vs NN3 or NN6, but you cannot shoot multi-row panos with this head

https://shop.nodalninja.com/r1-w-rd5-adj-tilt-pkg-f6120v/

samyang 8mm is ok, but you will not be getting the most out of D850 with that lens, nikkor 8-15mm fisheye is best fisheye lens for panos on full frame nikon, 12mm on that lens gives the max resolution for single row panos with fisheye lens, 8mm circular fisheye on either lens has lots of black area around circle so wasted pixels

here is one of my own panos with my own gear, D850 + nikkor 8-15mm @ 12mm, NN R1 + lens ring

http://www.samrohn.com/360-panorama/new-victory-theater-360-vr-panorama/

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Siddharth Kumar
    Siddharth Kumar
    Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Sam. I’d love to buy the Nikon 8-15 but it’s currently out of my budget unfortunately. I’ll settle for the Samyang and think of investing in the 8-15 if there is some ROI from 360 work.

With respect to the Samyang, I read that using the 8mm(crop sensor lens) on a full frame body would be ideal instead of the 12mm(full frame lens) on a full frame body. Is this true? I just want to be sure so that I get the right lens.

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Member
    IVRPA Director
    webmaster
    • ★★★★

samyang 8mm fisheye is fine to start with, there are better lenses but this one is ok and affordable

you can also shoot a spherical panorama with any lens, but longer FOV = more shots, so if you have a decent wide angle this will work fine on NN6, just takes a bit more work vs fisheye

otherwise, note there are both samyang 12mm fisheye and rectilinear lens which are not the same thing, and there are several models and generations of 8mm fisheye

and, samyang 12mm fisheye is not the exact same FOV as Nikon or canon 8-15mm fisheye at 12mm

8mm on any of the discussed lenses will result in a full circle image, with lots of wasted space around the circle, so that is not ideal imo, but not the end of the world either, you also get more overlap so better for crowd panos etc

nikon or canon 8-15mm fisheye zoom at 12mm will let you shoot only 4 images around at 0° for complete 360°x180 sphere with no nadir or zenith (up or down) shots needed

samyang 12mm fisheye is not quite the same FOV as the others, so it requires a different shooting pattern with additional N+Z shots

more info on shooting panos w samyang 12mm fisheye here –

http://panorama-blog.com/reviews/samyang-12mm-f28-fullframe-fisheye

Siddharth Kumar
    Siddharth Kumar
    Forum Member

Hey Sam, thanks for the clarification. If you don’t mind, could you also let me know the fish eye lenses you’d recommend along with the D850 (apart from the nikon 8-15)?

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Member
    IVRPA Director
    webmaster
    • ★★★★

nikon fisheyes are the only ones i have ever personally used, 10.5mm, 16mm, and the new 8-15mm zoom

all of the lenses below have their advantages and disadvantages, cost, size, weight, etc, a wider fisheye like 8mm would give you more overlap so better for masking in crowd shots etc, longer fisheyes will give more resolution and detail, cheap fisheyes are more prone to flare and chromatic aberrations, more expensive lenses are typically sharper, etc etc

Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X 107 AF DX NH Fisheye (no lens hood version) is similar FOV to nikon and canon zoom, this was a very popular 360 pano lens before canon and nikon made their own fisheye zooms, tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom costs about $450 on amazon etc

samyang (also branded as rokinon or bower) 8mm fisheye w removable lens hood for nikon F mount is also a popular choice due to price (about $200) and easy shooting pattern, samyang 12mm fisheye (about $400) is a bit better image quality overall, but slightly more complicated shooting and stitching

sigma makes an 8mm fisheye which is supposed to be very good, but not cheap, also a 4.5mm fisheye which is not cheap either and has very very small image circle (huge waste of pixels on nikon fx), and also 10.5mm and 16mm fisheyes, both at similar price to nikon equivalents

nikon 10.5mm fisheye is a nice and small lens but requires cutting off the lens hood to use on FX full frame and 4 around w no N+Z shots (i shot like this on D800), or otherwise it will same fov as 16mm on DX in crop mode, requiring 6 around and N+Z shots for full sphere pano

nikon 16mm fisheye requires 6 shots around & N+Z shots on full frame camera, smaller and lighter compared to the zoom

nikon 8-15mm fisheye zoom is larger and heavier and more expensive than any of the other lenses above, but in my experience it has better image quality vs any of the others i have seen

sam

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.