Home Forums General Discussion Mobile 360 & VR

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  saul burgos 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The 360cam
    Forum Member

Hi
    We’re excited to let you know we’ve launched the360cam .
    The360cam allows you to capture and stream 360° videos directly from your mobile.
    Now -super early bird offer!
    https://igg.me/at/the360cam

Luc Villeneuve
    IVRPA Director Member president

Is this really “The First Ever 360 Mobile Camera for VR” as you state on your web site?

What about others who already offer 360° VR solutions?

Luc Villeneuve
    Professional Photographer

The 360cam
    Forum Member

Hi Luc
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Yes ,we’re sure the360cam is the first ever 360° Mobile Camera for VR.

And I’ll explain why,I’ll touch only the main points in order to keep it short :)

Currently for mobile 360° you have the following “claimed to be mobile”:

Samsung gear 360
    LG 360 Cam
    Ricoh Theta

All these cameras are indeed great quality,but are not really mobile :

1)With Samsung and LG You cannot instantly live stream your 360 videos as you would do for any video on your mobile. You’d have to set a Wi-Fi/BT/NFC connectivity to your phone ,and then transfer the files over to your phone (a minute or two) ,and only then can you stream it. You’ve lost the shot!

With our camera,the360cam, you can instantly stream to social networks.

2)With Ricoh /LG/ Sam You’d have to use both hands while filming . One hand would hold the camera (be it Samsung gear or any other) and the other would hold your phone ,to see a live preview of what you’re filming. We think this is cumbersome ,and totally not our Mobile First approach.

Watch this for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_axnFKNlYLg . Doesn’t it look weird to you? As a filmmaker ,the experience should be seamless ,because you have a bunch of other things occupying your mind while filming.

With our camera , the360cam , it’s simply plug and play. Shoot with one hand ,intuitively ,see live preview on your phone,just as you would for any other video you’d take with your mobile.

3)Samsung App works only with Samsung phones.

We support all phones . Android and iPhones.

Looking forward for your comments ,ask me anything. Check out the campaign and back us up!
    https://igg.me/at/the360cam

Regards
    YT

Luc Villeneuve

I have been involved in the communication industry all my career, I know that titles are made bold to attract attention and for me, The first ever 360° Mobile Camera for VR, is an overstatement.

2)With Ricoh /LG/ Sam You’d have to use both hands while filming . One hand would hold the camera (be it Samsung gear or any other) and the other would hold your phone ,to see a live preview of what you’re filming. We think this is cumbersome ,and totally not our Mobile First approach.

Cumbersome is your point of view but these are 360 mobile cameras for VR right? Unless you add the variable “we think” in the technical specs. What if you put the Theta on a tripod and then only use one hand? What if, on top of using a tripod, your phone is placed on a desk and you do not use any hand?

You disqualify a product from a category because it’s “cumbersome”? Cumbersome is a relative concept. Cumbersome is certainly not a technical specification. I remember the first panorama heads, they were bulky, heavy, needed 2 hands and a remote control in the mouth. But it was the first panoramic head!

For me, having the lens fixed to the phone is cumbersome because I cannot operate the camera remotely, I have to be close and I am in the video stream unless it’s on a tripod or whatever support. So, as you can see, cumbersome is a relative concept, not a technical specification.

3)Samsung App works only with Samsung phones.
    Yes it works only with Samsung phones, but again, it is a 360 mobile camera for vr. Almost all manufacturers have accessories that only work with their equipment. If you market a 600 mm lens which can be attached to Nikon, Canon and Sony at the same time, can you say that it’s the first 600 mm lens on the market? Because Nikon lenses without adaptor only work with Nikon body, Canon… etc.?

I am sorry but you didn’t convince me. I still think that your title is way too bold.

Luc Villeneuve

The 360cam
    Forum Member

Hi Luc,thanks for the feedback ,I’ll address your points:

1) “What if you put the Theta on a tripod and then only use one hand? What if, on top of using a tripod, your phone is placed on a desk and you do not use any hand?”

So- how is that Mobile exactly? Can you move with the phone staying on your desk? Video is rarely static ,its following a constant move… and so should the filmmaker.

2) “You disqualify a product” 

Most certainly not. I wrote “All these cameras are indeed great quality”.

We have the utmost respect for these companies ,but our approach is different.

3) Samsung App works only with Samsung phones.”

I see your point ,but our goal is to democratize 360 filming and not to create a monopoly over a product. The ways we see it ,these days are long gone and customers are not willing to fall into such traps.

Luc Villeneuve

How is it mobile? Well I can certainly install it in a conference room and a minutes later it’s in the hall, then conference XYZ and I am dancing in corridors while moving the camera from one place to the other… Mobile is a relative concept. And I can drop the phone in my pocket if I cannot use both hands at the same time. Your concept of mobility and mine are different. And for me, it’s certainly not enough to claim a whatever first title.

We could argue forever but I am busy. You got my point. You should take care of your marketing stuff if you want to be taken seriously. In Canada, you could probably be sued for misleading advertising.

Luc Villeneuve

saul burgos
    Forum Member

I like the idea but the market your pointing out is not the correct. My personal opinion is that your marker is normal people without professional cameras like the people you can find in this place.

Professional people will look this like a toy, I do not think they will buy it. This product is for casual users. You should rethink your target market.

I am not an expert but that is my opinion, sorry is was rude, that is not my intention.

Web developer and Founder of Paneek
    My service that allow create virtual tour with Google streetview
    info@paneek.net

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.