Home Forums 360° Panoramic VR Photography Requirements for a good panorama

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sam Rohn 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Steven De brouwere
    IVRPA Professional Member

Hi

I am looking into virtual tours. I am planning to use marzipano. I am wondering what would be the ideal resolution for the images to create a virtual tour. Are there others things to keep mind.

saul burgos
    Forum Member

Each tool has its own requirements, I have read the doc of marzipano and I found this:

Flash is required to display panoramas on some browsers, such as IE8 and IE9. If the marzipano.swf file is not on the same path as the marzipano.js file, you must use the swfPath option when initializing Marzipano.

Maybe this can be a problem to you because of this:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/9/13903878/google-chrome-block-flash-html5

You should read the Doc of all the tools that you are planning to use. But mostly the paid service let you upload any size of image.

Create virtual tours for free in minutes without programming skills with Paneek. Fronted Web developer and Founder of paneek. info@paneek.net

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Director Member webmaster

flash is not required for marzipano, but it is supported for older web browsers like IE9 that do not support html5 or webgl, and marzipano works perfectly fine in chrome, which is the recommended browser for using marzipano tool

also note that marzipano is not any sort of pano hosting site paid or otherwise, it is a free tool that lets you create virtual tours that you must host on your own server

for specific questions about marzipano image resolution etc, try the marzipano google group – https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/marzipano

also see the IVRPA tutorials and resources page for more info in creating 360° virtual tours

http://ivrpa.org/about-ivrpa/360-vr-photography-360-video-resources/

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Steven De brouwere
    IVRPA Professional Member

I mean , what are the requirements off a good photo? Is 16k enough? What is the minimum?

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Director Member webmaster

it is hard to answer that question without your being more specific, there are many factors which determine what “good photo” means, good for what purpose, in what way, compared to what else, etc, and there are no simple answers for such a general question

“good panorama photography” would start with the basics of any sort of good photography, which requires a skilled camera operator with good understanding of composition, exposure, focus, lights, etc, as well as good understanding of panorama stitching software like PTGui or kolor autopano, some proficiency with photoshop and or lightroom, etc

is 16k the width in pixels of an equirectangular panorama ?
    how would this pano image be used ?
    is a large image with more detail more important than quick download of a smaller file ?
    what camera are you using ?
    how are you stitching your images ?
    what is your general proficiency with photography and with photoshop ?

so you would really need to do a bit of research and study to determine exactly what it is you need to learn or improve to make good images

thanks

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.