Home Forums 360° Virtual Tours Some starter questions.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Mike van der Lee 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Mike van der Lee
    Forum Member

Hi all,

Besides other photography I’ve done, I’m looking to also get into 360 photography for Real Estate, Hotels, etc. and trying to weigh the factors in using APS-C/Full Frame, Fish-Eye/Zoom, starting costs, etc.

I’m getting myself educated with a lot of sources on the web and I’m following the courses:
    – Creating 360-Degree Panoramas and Interactive Tours from Lynda.com
    – Where Art meets Architecture – Mike Kelley – FStoppers

To start with (I don’t have that high of a budget at this moment) I’m trying to see if I can use the gear I already have and, when I’m starting to earn money with it, expand and buy other equipment.

The gear that I now have:
    – Body: Canon 70D (APS-C, 1.6 crop)
    – Lens: Canon 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 APS-C
    – Tripod: Slik Pro 340DX
    – Flash: Canon Speedlite 430EX II

To start out, I’m thinking to purchase:
    – Nodal Ninja 6 Nodal Head with rotator
    – Leveling device
    – Yongnuo YN622C II i-TTL Flash triggers
    – Shoot-through umbrella with stand and flash attachment device

And later on:

– Full Frame camera; to also use in wedding and portrait photography
    – an 8mm Fish-Eye; to reduce the number of shots needed and thus post-processing (I understand that this will also limit my resolution to 1:1 camera res.
    – Tripod attachment with long mono-pod to get high-up shots

My (first ;) ) questions:

1. As there seem to be a lot of people here that also once started out but gained a lot of experience; could you share your thoughts on this? Planned progression, gear, etc.

2. In gathering info of the +s and -s, I’m trying to calculate the number of shots needed for a 360 with my current body & lens combination.
    According to this (https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/image-projections.htm#calculator) “360° Panorama Calculator” at Cambridge in Colour, I need to specify what kind of camera I use, Full Frame, APS-C including crop factor, etc.
    For as far as my understanding goes at the moment (which could be incorrect, of course), the crop factor with this calculation would only come into play if I’d use a non-APS-C lens on a APS-C body. But, as I have a APS-C lens on an APS-C body, the crop-factor doesn’t matter – the angle of view doesn’t change.
    Does it?

TIA for sharing your insights and info.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.