Home Forums 360° Video Synchronizing footage?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Luke Albers Luke Albers 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Blake Frye
    Forum Member

Hello everyone thank you for clicking on my thread.
    I have been recently looking into starting a 360 video project, and while there are plenty of consumer based options in my price range (around $800) there are little options in terms of an equirectangular projection greater than 4K

This lead me to the idea of using GoPros, and I was quite excited and ready to throw my money after some researching into it (currently printing a 6-GoPro mount). After some more research into it consulting with my friend who works in the industry, I discovered the issue of gen-lock and the other issue (after more research) of not being able to (kinda?) genlock anything below a Hero 3+ Black.

Unfortunately, used Hero 3 Blacks at $130 a piece on ebay then seemingly became obsolete for this projects needs compared to the $160 Hero 3+ Blacks which x6 lands me a bit out of my price range. (I would only need to order 5 hero 3 black gopros since I already own one of that exact model, keeping in my price range).

So feeling defeated, of course im just going to do more research. As I wait for my now useless gopro mount to finish printing. Thats when I stumbled upon the concept of a program like autopano doing the synchronization for me, maybe my mount isnt so useless!

The OVERALL QUESTION of this post is: Can a program like autopano really synchronize footage where before a gen-locking solution was the only answer for 360 footage? Can a program really make up for the deficiency between GoPro clocks? Is Gen-lock really necessary if my videos are only going to be shot in intervals of 5-10 minutes?

Luke Albers
    Luke Albers
    IVRPA Sponsor Member

The short answer is yes. It works pretty well and is easy to get to sync automatically the majority of the time. It can be a hassle if the auto sync fails but not that big of a deal.

Also check out https://mewpro.cc/ – he’s got a genlock solution. I’m slowly working on something similar.

http://www.svr360.net

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.