Home Forums 360° Video What happened to the migration from FB that was supposed to happen here?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Eric Fassbender Eric Fassbender 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Simon Miya
    Forum Member

There have been zero new posts since this was announced on the FB group as the new gathering place for pros. Has there been a change of plans? The FB group is getting insufferable with the spammers and leeches looking to make a quick buck.

Sam Rohn
    IVRPA Director Member webmaster

no change of plans, just waiting for you guys to start posting here and get the ball rolling :)

takes a bit of time for this sort of migration to occur, maybe start a topic here that is a good candidate for the sort of discussion better suited to forums, maybe a tutorial or workflow w nice screenshots etc, post links in fb group inviting others to participate, fb is hardwired into everyones brain at this point so it may take a bit of time…

i have been busy with work this season so not much time for coding here but i do plan to expand and improve this forum as we get more feedback

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
    360° Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com
    Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com

Jürgen Schrader
    Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Director Member vice-president

No migration will happen out of it’s own.
    People HATE changes.

BTW, if one wants to prevent spammers and other “unwanted” posters it’s not a matter of the platform.
    To be honest, all the tools are already available on FB. Key is to decide who you let in and to closely moderate the group. Without doing this any other place will get clogged in no time.

Jürgen Schrader
    IVRPA Vice President

Simon Miya
    Forum Member

BTW, if one wants to prevent spammers and other “unwanted” posters it’s not a matter of the platform.

I have to disagree. FB by it’s very nature encourages those with just a casual interest to participate and post in many different groups. As a result conversations are dominated by those with a tenuous grasp of the subject matter. This is much worse with highly technical discussions, like many in this field of endeavor.

To be honest, all the tools are already available on FB. Key is to decide who you let in and to closely moderate the group.

Such power is concentrated in the hands of just 2 fine men, who unfortunately are much too busy to do all that is needed to keep a FB group with thousands of members on track. They do a good job when they have time, but the job is too big due to the vast numbers of people participating there.

I’ve been trying to do my part there by pointing out blatant falsehoods and marketing BS in the group, but I know I’m not the right personality type to deal with them when they start lobbing insults back as a result of being told that what they read on the internet somewhere could be wrong (which happened twice this week, and seems to more and more common).

BTW, is there any ability to edit posts here? I often can’t stop thinking about and revising my words after posting, and the ability to clarify my meaning after reflection is valuable in being sure that my words convey my true feelings. EDIT: Found the edit button, I guess it’s just initial posts in a thread that can’t be edited :)

John Clark
    Forum Member

+1 on posting more in-depth content to start driving more folks here. Maybe someone technically gifted in the field can be interviewed via email and the results can be posted here. Do you guys think that could be content that drives the desired audience from the Facebook group?

RE: Facebook, ugh, still some good nuggets though.

Eric Fassbender
    Eric Fassbender
    IVRPA Professional Member

FB is great but I often want to search for articles which is an absolute pain over there, so I’ll be checking in here more often :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.